Marist Defeats ND for 2nd Time; Advances

November 3, 2015
Marist, proving tough in the clutch, won an 8A first round contest against Notre Dame (Niles) Friday, scoring a last minute game winning field goal and a final seconds touchdown in the first half. It was hard to lose in one game Notre Dame Coach Michael Hennessey said after the game. Notre Dame (#10, 8-2) was favored in the contest. Although it lost to Marist (#23, 6-4) 49-42 in a September home game the Dons had been victorious against every other opponent they faced this season. That's right, both the losses were against the same team.
Marist watches play anxiously at Notre Dame Prep October 30, 2015. Photo by Patrick Boylan

Marist watches play anxiously at Notre Dame Prep October 30, 2015. Photo by Patrick Boylan

We had a couple of opportunities we didn't cash in on, Hennessey said. Unlike the games played on Saturday, the Friday night contest at Notre Dame Prep Stadium was played in ideal conditions and before packed stands on both sides. The Doms scored first in the contest, a 55 yard drive that saw Tim Simon catch a pass from the 45 yard line and break two tackles for the touchdown. Marist took possession of a punted ball on their own seven with just 1.48 left in the first half. Quarterback Brendan Skalitzky ran for a 19 yard gain. He followed up by connecting with Ryan Seamus Glascott for an eleven yard gain, Darshon Mccullough's reception put the Spartans on the 50. Skalitzky continued to drive to the two where he spiked the ball to stop the clock. The final drive of this 93 yard spectacular was a pass to Glascott to tie the game 7-7 going into the halftime. Coming out of the locker room the Doms drove the ball down to the 19 yard line where Tyler Sagalis was sacked. With fourth down and 20, the Doms went for it with a hail mary to Ethan Jennings, his first touchdown of the match. A blocked kick by Notre Dame at the start of the fourth quarter led to a Marist possession. Brian Woods received a pass from Skalitzky to run for 30 yards and the tying touchdown. Momentum in the game seemed to shift to favor Marist. Marist defense, led by Robert Topps 3rd, John Carmody and Glascott put more pressure on the Doms. Sacks, frustrated drives and turn overs finally led to Marist gaining possession on their 47. They drove down to the four, but were pushed back by a series of penalties. With 35.8 seconds remaining in regulation a field goal by Thomas Gillen was the game winning score. "It was an unbelievable experience," Topps said. "I saw my opportunity to get (their) quarterback" and took it. "I wanted to rush the QB, but I stayed back," Glascott said about his recovery of a fumble. "So I stayed back" and recovered the fumble caused by Topps. "It was our turn to step up and we stepped up" he said of the defense. "We were content to play for three points," Marist Coach Pat Dunne said of the field goal. Our defense played a tremendous game. "My teammates had confidence in me," sophomore Gillen said. "I wasn't nervous when it came time." Skalitzky said "it was our best game of the year. We had full faith in our defense." Marist will face Barrington High School (#7, 9-1) at home in the second round, Saturday 7P.  

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,